Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Convergance culture: my experience!

My parents have a family video of my brother and I, aged 2 and 4, standing in our hall way talking on our ONE family telephone to our grandparents. The phone was mounted on the wall and was one of those oldies that you have to turn to dial a number. 18 years later, I carry around a small cellphone which not only enables me to call people, but access the web and take pictures! It’s scary to think in this small amount of time how technology has changed. I’m pretty sure at age 12 I was still using a manual disposable camera. And maybe I was 13 when the internet entered our household. To think back then that all of these things would one day converge and become one little mobile device would have been absurd to me! Devices such as Blackberrys and ‘iphones’ mix the standard phone, camera, internet, mp3 player and electronic diary together all in one! If this technology has been developed in the last few years then what else is to come? My question is...will different technologies continue to converge so that one day soon they will be too intricate to operate? How far can it really go? I suppose our technological skills and ability advance as new technologies are developed. But then one has to ponder...will the world ultimately be just one big technological society where computers do the thinking for us. I personally don’t want to exist like that! For me at the moment technology assists in my daily life – it doesn’t rule it!

No comments: