Thursday, April 10, 2008

IBM and Second Life...Merger!

A management paper I am presently doing touched upon the subject of technology in the workplace, specifically in regards to communication. It is evident that technological advancements have completely transformed the world of business, essentially bringing greater efficiency and productivity. Work environments have developed from physical spaces into interactive atmospheres where it is not uncommon to have employees working together from various locations around the world. There is however a downside to all of this; the constant use of new technological advancements as a means of communication sees personal interaction disintegrate.

You guys may think, what on earth has this got to do with ‘Virtual Identities?’ and I do assure you I have a point coming…
While browsing online news articles on the virtual community ‘Second Life’ I stumbled across an article referring to computer technology giant IBM (see the article @ http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Messaging-and-Collaboration/IBM-First-to-Host-Second-Life-on-its-Own-Servers/).

It seems IBM, in conjunction with Second Life creator Linden Lab, are planning to host the program on IBM’s own server as a ‘stepping stone’ to greater adoption of virtual worlds across the enterprise. Now, I find this really interesting because in previous research for my management class I discovered that IBM is in fact very ‘pro’ face-to-face interaction with customers rather than communication of a virtual means. IBM believes that while technological advancements such as the web have certainly made it easier for the company to communicate with its clientele, it is no substitute for personal interaction. IBM has even recently created ‘The Global Tivoli User Group Council’ which is comprised of 20 appointed leaders from all around the world whom represent the company’s various user groups. Once a year the Council meets in person with employees of IBM and are given the opportunity to voice any concerns, gain important information, express ideas and discuss the new and emerging business.

After learning both pieces of information I must ask…Does indulging in a business venture with a ‘virtual community’ company mean that IBM is contradicting their ‘apparent’ beliefs on personal customer interaction? And does this effectively mean that face-to-face communication is a thing of the past and online presence the future?

The internet is well and truly changing the way in which business works. Already many companies have virtual presences in ‘Second Life’. A list of the brands can be viewed at http://slbusinesscommunicators.pbwiki.com/Companies+in+Second+Life
Sony/BMG, BMW and Adidas are just a few to name. The world of online communities is large and developing. Established companies such as IBM who once proudly stated their devotion to personal interaction have jumped on the bandwagon in a big way. Surely this signals that there are major advancements install for life online. Maybe one day we will be just that, a ‘virtual being’…Scary to think huh!!

2 comments:

Kat said...

hey, that's really interesting stuff about IBM and in regards to your comment on my blog about the idea that we will be living online in the future, I think you could be right. I personally don't want to end up living my life online, I really enjoy interacting and spending time with my friends person to person. However, I could definitely see myself spending more time online in the future, especially as life gets busier and I have less time to actually meet up with friends in person. At the moment I keep in contact with all of my friends back home via email so I guess I'm already living online to an extent.

Alina said...

i agree and disagree with you and Kat. I too keep in touch with my friends overseas thorugh the internet, as it is the cheapest way but not necessarily the most effective. I still prefer phone conversations, and i know you can have them online as well. But i do it because there is no other easy way to keep in touch with those friends overseas (besides writing letters lol-haven't done that in ages).....However, if we're talking about my friends from Dunedin, i most definitely meet them, even if it's just for a short "ciggy break" as they call it rather than "meet them" online. For instance, if i'm on yahoo msn, i'm always on invisible 'cause i just find it a waste of time if i sit at my desk, trying to do an assignmnet or smth else, to just chat with them, unless i have something important to say and then i contact them....i can never really have a proper conversation with an individual 'cause words are always misinterpreted if are not complemented by gestures/mimc/face etc..

i am becoming more or better said perfectly aware of the fact that we will be using the internet at an even greater extent in the near future, as it is pretty much part of us,(just like our five senses and the cellphone lol- hard to live without them), but I am hoping let's say we don't have to replace real life with the virtual one. I actually hope we won't have to define real life as synonym with the virtual life....i guess i'll just have to live and see for myself:)